Traditional Metal Braces
Traditional metal braces are the most common type of braces and are more comfortable today than ever before. Made of high-grade stainless steel, metal braces straighten your teeth using metal brackets and archwires. With metal braces, you have the option of adding colored elastics (rubber bands) for a more unique and colorful smile.
Having braces doesn't necessarily require highly noticeable metal brackets and wires. In fact, many of today's braces are made from either clear or natural tooth colored materials to provide patients with an attractive, less noticeable alternative to traditional braces.
What is the difference between clear braces and clear aligners?
Clear braces are the same as traditional metal braces except that they are clear! Clear braces are a less noticeable alternative to traditional metal braces and provide patients with an equally effective treatment.
Clear aligners are different from clear braces. Clear aligners are highly engineered plastic shells which are designed to fit over your teeth. Clear aligners are great for patients requiring orthodontic treatment.
What are the advantages and disadvantages to clear braces?
As with any orthodontic treatment, it is important to choose the right option for your needs and lifestyle. Clear braces are a great alternative to traditional metal braces and Dr. Sebastian will help you determine whether they are the right treatment for you.
Advantages to clear braces:
- Appearance: Ceramic braces and clear braces are much less noticeable than traditional metal braces. Clear and ceramic braces offer an aesthetic alternative for patients seeking options other than traditional metal braces.
- Confidence: Many patients who choose ceramic or clear braces feel more confident about their orthodontic treatment, especially knowing that people are focusing on their smiles rather than their braces.
Disadvantages to clear braces:
- Cost: Ceramic and clear braces may cost more than traditional metal braces. Our team may offer convenient payment plans to help control the costs of your treatment. Be sure to talk to our team about all of your financial options.
- Discoloration: The clear elastic ties used with clear and ceramic braces may become slightly discolored when you drink tea, coffee, or wine, and eat certain foods or smoke. Ask our team about how you can keep your braces looking their best.
Are clear or ceramic braces the right choice for my smile and me?
By talking to Dr. Sebastian, you can decide if clear or ceramic braces are the right treatment for you. Dr. Sebastian can provide answers to your questions and extra information explaining the benefits of each treatment. If you would like to learn more about clear braces, ceramic braces, and all of the options available to you, please contact our practice and schedule an appointment today.
Clear aligners are an effective alternative to traditional braces, because they use a system of clear, removable trays used to straighten teeth. Invisalign® is the most popular of the aligner choices. Each aligner is custom-made to fit over your teeth and is designed to gradually move teeth into their proper position. Using clear aligners for orthodontic treatment is not for everyone. The best way to find out if clear aligners are the right option for you is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Sebastian.
How do clear aligners work?
Clear aligners are used as an alternative to traditional braces and are designed to help guide teeth into proper position. Just like braces, clear aligners use gradual force to control tooth movement, but without any metal wires or brackets. The aligners are made with a highly engineered plastic material and are fabricated to precisely fit your teeth. As treatment progresses you switch aligners. Each aligner is a little different, so your teeth move a little more with every change.
Each aligner is worn for at least 21 hours each day for 5-10 days before changing to the next aligner(s) in the sequence. The length of your treatment depends on the severity of your case, and treatment can take anywhere from six months to two years.
Advantages of orthodontic treatment with clear aligners:
Clear aligners are a great alternative for patients who want a straighter smile but do not want to wear metal braces, or for patients who have had treatment in the past and want to make minor corrections to their smile. There are several advantages to orthodontic treatment with clear aligners.
- Clear aligners are easier to keep clean, making it easier to maintain the health of your teeth and gums.
- Clear aligners are comfortable and less likely to irritate your gums and cheeks.
- Clear aligners prevent wear on the teeth from tooth grinding.
- Clear aligners are removable, so it's easier for you to brush and floss after meals.
If you're interested in orthodontic treatment with clear aligners, call and schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Sebastian to determine if this is the right treatment for you. Scheduling a consultation is your first step toward achieving the beautiful smile you've always wanted.